Saturday, March 26, 2011

Columus, NM - off day

So today we went to the Pancho Villa Museum...really interesting. In the middle of the nite March 9, 1916, Villa's 485 troops crossed the border and attacked Columbus, NM. There were 70-75 raiders killed, 10 american civilians and 8 US soldiers. They think Pancho was raiding to get supplies as they were not interested in killing the civilians. they have the original car with the bullet holes, a Curtiss JN-3 bi-plane and a armored vehicle and many other artifacts from that time. The place was pretty cool!

We then took a ride to Palomas, Mexico - had lunch. some stayed over to shop but some of us decided to come back. There were federalis at the gates going into Mexico - just the standard process returning to the US. The lunch place was called The Pink Store and of course they had the mariachi band playing to the tables. The town was really clean and I don't think they get many tourists - not much shopping, etc for the tourist.

Here we are at the statue of Pancho Villa in Palomas...

Just some other thoughts that I forgot to write about last nite. yesterday on our 95 mile ride - there are Yucca plants everywhere. they are like a fern growing up with stalks standing upward. It seemed like everyone one of these plants reminded me of something... one was an ostrich, another a laughing face and then there were 2 together and I swear it was 2 old men that looked hunched back walking.. there was also a porcupine... so many images - cracked me up then and still cracks me up but maybe it was all about the 95 miles (smile).

When Mike and I were racing to lunch at the 50 mile mark yesterday - we were both flying... Mike slowed down and said he couldn't keep up with me and I just laughed and said I was trying to keep up with him... we both slowed down - reminds me of an airport in Dallas, heh Marian??

Tomorrow we're on our way to the 4th State - Texas. We'll be in El Paso for the nite - 75 miles...don't know what the terrain will be like - will let you all know. I can't believe it's been 2 weeks on the road already! Time seems to be flying by...

Hey Phil, so glad to hear from you and that you're enjoying my blog...

3 comments:

  1. Hey, got your email everything is fine. It has let up on the raining for awhile, SUNSHINE!!!!!!
    Your pictures are really good, journal is newsy.
    Can you believe the mileage you guys have covered already. El Paso already. I have only three weeks and then I will start. Time is a flyin'...You are doing a great Must be getting stronger each day..... Have a safe trip to Texas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I ever forget the airport in Dallas!! That was going thru my mind as I was reading. Too funny.
    Wow, besides beautiful scenery you're getting some history lessons to boot! Love your story on the Yucca plants...Maybe it was the 95 miles..you think?? Hope you took some pictures.
    While in Texas if you go thu Abeline at lunch or dinner time, a restaurant with great food is Rosa's Taco Factory. Geography is not one of my better subjects so don't know if it's even on your route. I just know it's in Texas!!
    Stay safe
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy y'all!!!! Welcome to Texas!! Well Aunt Diane, that was more of a history lesson than I ever got in school. :-) good pictures! Have fun in Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete