Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dauphin Island, Alabama

We had a 74 mile ride yesterday leaving Mississippi and riding into Alabama.
It was a really pretty ride in mostly rural areas that had beautiful homes... more traffic than normal though. But I did take note on all the things I need to know about Mississippi and I can tell you - I ran into no rednecks but 3 hungry dogs that wanted to chew us up but we didn't let them.... we got the best of them - in fact they were confused by the time Mike, Dan and I got through with them... No bumper stickers on my bike either:-)


Other than a great lunch at the Blue Heron with everyone that was there - shrimp po boy - it was an uneventful ride. We're staying at a campground on Dauphin Island and it's really nice. The weather is good, the beach is right down the path from us with white sand and warm water. We actually have trees that we can put the tents under for shade... once again it's the little things....

Today there were 9 of us that went to Mobile, AL and went aboard the USS Alabama for a tour. As Jerry was in the Marines and on the Ranger which was stationed in Alameda many many years ago - he was able to give us information that is not on the tour sheet. It was really interesting and it's a big ship!!!

There is a building which houses many of the old aircraft...here is a pic of the before Katrina and after Katrina hit...absolutely amazing... and what a mess!!

Also while we were there the memorial area was hosting an egghunt for the children and they came from everywhere. They didn't expect the number that they had - cars were lined up for so long that they just pulled over and stopped so their kids could get to the egg hunt. The pic shows only half of what ended up there... the reporter we were talking to was really worried that it would become a news item and not just a feature - but it was all good!!

Tomorrow we take the ferry across the bay and head into Florida...our last state. I can't believe I have 8 days total left of this ride. It's probably a good thing as my camera display is broken, my bike seat is ripping and my bike bag zipper disintegrated and I'm holding it together with a bungy cord...I'm sure I look like a bag lady on a bike...my clothes are forever stained and dirty and no matter how much they get washed - they look like they haven;t. Oh yeah, I also don't comb my hair anymore... I just towel dry and if it looks too bad I put a hat on it!! Life on the road is pretty simple!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I forgot all about the yard dogs. They generally are not as dangerous as their barks would suggest...unless you run, of course. They live for the thrill of the chase. I suspect that those were probably northern dogs that came in with some of the tourists. The southern variety usually have better manners.

    You really did cover a lot yesterday and today. I was afraid you would not get the chance. Mobile is great. You'll have to visit again when you have at least a week. And stumbling onto such a big event? What luck. My goodness, it doesn't remind me of the ones I went to when young. And, it doesn't appear to have been a very good crop of grass to hide anything in. The actual hunt probably didn't take too long.

    Bag lady or not, I'm sure you look better than the guys, except the French ones, of course. They probably still look pretty good, having jumped into the ride midway.

    I hope you don't mind me messing up your blog with my big my mouth. Still proud of you, and still know that I couldn't have peddled out of California if a tornada was on my rear end.

    Ya'll be careful. You're too close to the goal to lose focus and get into trouble at this point. Florida boys are just like Mississippi ones, but with better tans. So, the helpful hints still apply.

    You'll love St Augustine. The beach and water are gorgeous. And it should be warm.

    Best of luck to you all.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic of you on the ship!! You look totally fit!! I love Bryan's 'helpful hints'. It's good to know that some things never change.
    Happy Easter.
    Stay safe
    Marian

    ReplyDelete